UML Tool for Eclipse

Lately, I need to design a component for a system, mainly written in Java. The component involves some extra programming techniques as it is not just a database system. After a few trial-and-error, the best design paradigm is down to class diagram. Yeah, as simple as that. Who knows, this requirement may change again.

So I started out with Visio 2003 for the UML Static Structure (class diagram), and found that it didn't like Java as only pre-defined data types were C++, IDL, and VB. So I googled for how to add Java to it. It seemed Visio 2007 has included Java, but I didn't want to upgrade.
And I've found this article, Java and JavaScript Support for Microsoft Visio. The author defined "most" of Java packages and classes in Visio (well, such a tedious work). Somehow I could reuse the Visio file to continue my design, but I had to carry all these bulky packages with my work. Meh!

My current solution is Omondo EclipseUML 2008 Studio, which I have tried a few months back, and it was impressive. However, it expired after 30 days. I didn't realise that reinstalling would renew the trial period. That is so sweet.

There are many UML tools for Eclipse. In general, those free ones (including Eclipse UML2) are only for drawing and have nothing to do with the code in the project. Whilst commercial ones (including EclipseUML) reflect current code elements, such as changing in a Java class will reflect the class diagram, and vise versa.

Just a note to people who are searching for a UML tool for Eclipse, 30-day trial period isn't all bad. I wish I could finish some design within a month and that is about just right.

Comments